Blog #10 - I, Rigoberta Menchú

    I just finished reading I, Rigoberta Menchú and I am having a hard time finding the proper words to describe the feelings that came up while being taken on this journey throughout her life, and the brutal reality too many indigenous communities in Guatemala had to face. 

    Firstly, I cannot believe the years that Rigoberta Menchú has lived in her short lifetime. I found myself triple checking her age, because 23 just feels too young to have been through all of this trauma and to keep pushing for some sort of justice. I feel inspired not only by everything she did, by her ability to tell her story in a language different from her own, and in such a raw and vulnerable way. At a couple of points in the book, she references how she, and many others who were young during this time in history, didn’t get a childhood. I think this lack of childhood is reflected through her ability to grasp the reality of the world and what she has been through so clearly. She has had to be an adult since she was a very young girl. 


    I am also overwhelmed by the resiliency that Rigoberta Menchú, her bloodline, and the communities themselves have, despite the constant terror, threats, loss, and violence that they have had to face again and again. Even just considering one isolated incident, such as the murder of Rigoberta’s little brother,  Petrocinio, and the many other victims. Reading the heart-wrenching details made me feel sick to my stomach - I cannot fathom the concept of going through that, and then continuing on because of it. The amount of trauma these communities went through, by facing it head on and pushing through feels unbelievable. I take a look at my own life, and when things have felt unbearable and I feel a lot of shame. It is hard to think about the different worlds that exist alongside us, so different from the lives that we live. 


    Although this text was written simply, I had a really hard time pushing through it. After each reading session, I found myself feeling dysregulated and really low. I know that it is important to learn about history, and to see first-hand what the experience was like going through these horrific circumstances, but I have a really hard time with it. The grief in the present world already feels overwhelming, so adding the pain of the past feels intolerable. Although this was a challenging book to read emotionally, I found this book to be a very important read. 


    My question for discussion: How do you think Rigoberta Menchú was able to push through the grief she experienced in her life and continue to be an activist? 

Comments

  1. As you have noticed, many of the works we have read, and will continue to read, tell us stories of pain, oppression, and abuse. Unfortunately, all this is a reality in Latin America. However, this testimony is very powerful because it shows us that even those who have been hardest hit by injustice become aware of their situation and act accordingly, and in common. "She has had to be an adult since she was a very young girl." Yes, and that situation, as you remember, continues with her younger sisters who were radicalized very young.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Cadence!
    I really enjoyed your post this week, we had a lot of similar feelings towards the reading. I also had a hard time digesting the content but knew how important it was for stories like this to be told and heard. For your question, I think grief and suffering can be powerful motivators for people, especially in circumstances such as Menchu's. Perhaps her feelings of wanting her story to be told and the need to bring light to the suffering that took place for her and many others overpowered any potential grief that would have held her back from sharing her story.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Cadence, I was also surprised by the fact that Menchú was only 23 years old by the time she told all of these stories. To answer your question, I believe that her resilience and determination may be attributable, in part, to an indigeneous legacy handed down by her ancestors. I recall reading a passage that proclaimed, "Our ancestors did not just sit there and do nothing, they fight!" during the colonial era under Spanish rule. It is plausible that this sentiment, among others, may have fueled her resolve to persist in her advocacy efforts despite adversity.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts